To the Parents of MS and HS Choir Members:

Just wanted to touch base about the latest assignment and also try to explain grading for the rest of the nine weeks.  First of all, please understand that I feel your pain as far as keeping the kids on track with virtual learning.  Having a 4th grader at home, I know how hard it is to be a parent trying to tackle your own work AND theirs, technology that doesn't always work, assignments that are confusing, and children who say they turned an assignment in, but neglect to tell you they turned it in blank.  It's almost like having to not only be a parent, but also to be a private investigator as well.  I want to assure you that I am here to help any way I can.  Please do not hesitate to reach out and check on assignments, ask questions, and request tech support.  


RECORDING ASSIGNMENT:  Before we sent the students home, we were working on two holiday selections that I was hoping to record in the building once we returned in December.  If students were in class prior to shut down, they should have copies of these pieces in their chorus folders.  If they lost it, or your student was not here prior to the shutdown, copies of these pieces are in their Google Classroom under "Items from your Folder."  Under each song is a copy of the music, and audio and video learning tracks for them to practice with.  They have been available to the students since prior to Thanksgiving, and I told them to practice during the shutdown so it would remain fresh and we could record when they return.  Unfortunately, we know the current situation, and I also told them before they left to be prepared if we did not return to audio record these selections for a virtual holiday concert, to be put together and broadcast prior to Christmas.

For this assignment, I would like them to audio record themselves singing their part of the two concert selections.  They may record this using their chromebooks or any other recording device that they or you might have around the house.  To help them along, I included an instructional video on how to do this, as well as copies of the learning tracks I would like them to sing with.  My plan is to combine all of the tracks together to make an audio "virtual choir" recording to include in the holiday concert video.  If there is any question from your student as to how to do this, please encourage them to zoom in during my daily office hours and ask.  I will help them anyway I can.  The Holiday Concert video should be out prior to the holiday and have their virtual choir recordings, clips of past HS and MS holiday concerts, and some new soloists and narrators performing from home.  I will send out links once it is ready via our social media.


GRADES:  I know this is probably frustrating some of you as much as it is me.  I have seen my own child's grade go down since the start of online learning, and I commiserate if this is a frustration for you.  Just so you know, this is how your student can improve their grade in my class going forward, and fix their grade they have now:

Daily Participation Question (5 points per day):  Usually includes either video or written reminders from me about upcoming assignments, as well as my availability on zoom each day.  Students need to read the announcements and answer the trivia question of the day (getting said trivia question right does not affect grade).  Students have until midnight the following day to complete the question.  If students start today and regularly complete the question, they should be fine by the end of the grading period.

Choir Karate (10 points per assignment):  So far this nine weeks they have had two assignments in which they had to either video record themselves performing two rhythm/melody reading exercises, or perform them live on my zoom.  Some students choose to record to take the pressure of performing live for me, and I completely understand that.  If your child has a check mark next to Blue 3 or Blue 4, that means it has been turned in, and either have not graded it yet, or I have asked them to fix a problem with their assignment.  If it is a 0, they have not turned it in as of yet.  Once they complete the assignment, they get full credit.  They can do this anytime before the end of the nine weeks.  If they have a question on how to do the assignment, they are always welcome to zoom in.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to make sure you had all of the information that you needed, especially if you receive a 5 weeks report from me for your student.  To be very honest, this will be the first time in 22 years that I will need to send out grade reports for students.  The good thing, though, is that there is still time to right the ship.  Provided they get their recordings into me this week, their grades will improve considerably just from that assignment alone.  If they start working on their daily participation points today, their grades will improve.  If they complete their choir karate, their grades will improve.  We can get this fixed.

I know that I constantly try to remind the students of my daily zoom hours.  Please know that those are for you just as much as they are for your students.  If you need me during the school day, you can call me at 814-676-2771 x.2029, or you can email me, and I will give you the zoom link.

I am here for you just as much as I am here for your students.  Please feel free to reach out at any time with questions or concerns.  I know that this is not always shared with you, but on behalf of myself and my colleagues, THANK YOU so much for all you do in taking on this challenge of online learning, and doing the best you can for your kids in this trying time.  We will get through this together, and I look forward to the time I can welcome your students back into the classroom, and welcome you back to the school for a choir concert.  I remain at your service.

Stay Well,
Steve Luxbacher
Music Teacher 
Oil City Middle/HIgh School

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Rehearsal Schedule - First Week and Going Forward

OCMA Board of Directors - Remainder of 2018-2019 School Year